On Friday, the WSU Board of Regents granted President Floyd’s request for extended medical leave as he wages his personal battle with cancer. The outpouring of affection and concern for President Floyd and his family over the past couple of days has been uplifting, and President and Mrs. Floyd are truly appreciative of the hundreds of well wishes sent from members of the Cougar Nation.

In accordance with university policies, the Regents have transferred the duties of the president to me in my capacity as provost and executive vice president throughout the duration of his leave. I appreciate the confidence that the Regents have in me to lead WSU during this time.

Please allow me to clarify a couple of points concerning our administrative structure during President Floyd’s absence. Dr. Floyd remains the president of WSU while on leave status. I remain in my position of provost and executive vice president while assuming the duties of the president. Understanding the broad scope and myriad responsibilities of both positions, I have set up a small academic administrative team to assist me and assure that the academic affairs of the university receive appropriate attention. This team is comprised of Erica Austin, vice provost for academic affairs; Daryll DeWald, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences; Ron Mittelhammer, dean of the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences; and Mel Netzhammer, chancellor of WSU Vancouver.

Direction from President Floyd is straightforward – continue to push forward on the progressive agenda that we have been advancing over the past year. We have several ongoing major initiatives (e.g., medical school launch, potential partnership with Bellevue College, 120-day research plan) that we will continue to advance. In addition, decisions will continue to focus on advancing our education and research enterprises as outlined in the University Strategic Plan.

2015 has already been a banner year for WSU with amazing accomplishments – graduating a record number of students, gaining authorization for our own independently accredited medical school, surpassing our $1 billion campaign goal, and earning over $200 million of extramural funding to name a few. Over the coming months, we will work together and support one another to build upon these outstanding achievements and make our university stronger than ever. That is what Cougs do!

Thank you,

Dan