Stephany RunningHawk Johnson with her family
Stephany RunningHawk Johnson, left, with her husband Jason Johnson and daughters Kora, top, and Brynn.

The classroom looks different in 2020, but that hasn’t diminished Stephany RunningHawk Johnson’s excitement to be working with students again.

After spending five years in middle school classrooms, Johnson (Oglala Lakota Nation) is now helping shape curriculum in ways that inspire indigenous students. Her new faculty position in the College of Education allows her to guide students and build on WSU’s connections with tribal communities to improve science education.

“Getting to teach again feels amazing,” Johnson said. “It’s the highlight of my week. I’m teaching two graduate level courses and the students are really invested and interested in the material. It’s been a learning experience for me as well.”

Johnson completed a circuitous journey to earning her Ph.D. at the University of Oregon last spring. Along the way she was a middle school teacher in Springfield, Ore. and an academic advisor at Oregon State. As a grad student she attended WSU’s Globalization, Diversity and Education Conference and connected with WSU faculty, including John Lupinacci, who is now a College of Education colleague.

“I knew I wanted to be at WSU early on because there is a real commitment and a real responsibility as a land grant university to take care of the land and the indigenous folks,” Johnson said. “I’ve had a lot of people reaching out and saying they’re interested in working with me. Right now we’re laying the ground work.”

Johnson plans on working with at least three different tribes in the region, transforming science education curriculum and inspiring future generations.