Interim Dean for the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences
The Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President is seeking a current WSU faculty member for the position of Interim Dean for the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences and is currently calling for nominations.
The Interim Dean of the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences is responsible for the academic and administrative oversight of the College and Extension. The position reports directly to the Provost and Executive Vice President. The Interim Dean provides leadership and vision in strategic planning and implementation of programs and leads College and Extension development activities. Areas of responsibility include:
- Attract and retain a highly qualified and diverse faculty; collaborate with and motivate faculty in their primary roles as scholars and educators.
- Develop, implement, and manage programs that recruit and retain an excellent and diverse and inclusive student body and academic staff.
- Support research, creative activity, and academic programs across the campuses to achieve the strategic goals of the College, Extension, and university, and engage faculty and staff in maintaining a vital and relevant vision and strategy.
- Develop budgetary priorities for the College and Extension and ensure fiscal responsibility for decisions regarding expenditures.
- Advocate for the College and Extension, act as counsel to University leadership with respect to the advancement of teaching, research, and creative activity, and collaborate with other Deans, Chancellors, and other administrative units to build interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary programs and activities.
- Lead a work environment in which participation, respect, equity, transparency, open communication, and excellence are fostered.
- Provide leadership and foster relationships with alumni and other natural constituents of the University to advance the mission of the College, Extension, and University and expand resources for the College and Extension.
- Participate as appropriate and requested in University-level service through committee work and related activities.
- Rank of full, tenured professor in an academic department currently in the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences.
- Leadership experience in a complex academic organization.
- Possess an outstanding record as an accomplished scholar and educator.
- Ability to conceptualize and execute programs and initiatives, with demonstrated abilities to set priorities. Possess sound analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The successful candidate will have demonstrated abilities and experience in these areas:
- Excellent listening, collaboration, and team-building skills
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with faculty and staff
- Work as a strategic visionary, connecting best practice and evidence-based programs and initiatives to WSU’s mission and goals
- Conceptualize and prioritize objectives
- Exercise independent judgment to integrate resources, policies, and information to develop equitable policies and procedures
Appointment Status and Duration
- Faculty, 12-month, 1.0 FTE position
- June, 2021 – July 31, 2022 (or until a permanent Dean is appointed)
- This nomination process is only open to current Washington State University faculty. A statement of interest explicitly addressing the duties and qualifications, current curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references should be submitted via email to Kristina Peterson-Wilson (email@example.com). Nominations will be accepted until 5:00 PM (Pacific) on May 7, 2021.
Washington State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action educator and employer. Members of ethnic minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently-separated veterans, and other protected veterans, persons of disability, and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply. WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility.