The purpose of this award is to cover the cost of registration fees to attend a conference/ meeting/ workshop that will directly enhance the applicant’s classroom teaching and/or scholarship of teaching.
Applications for the current award cycle will open January 1, 2024 and are due March 22, 2024. See link to online application form below.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Must be a current full-time WSU faculty member at the rank of Lecturer or above at time of application.
- Application must be for attendance at a meeting/conference/workshop between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024.
- The purpose of conference attendance must be to develop the applicant’s teaching practice and/or scholarship of teaching.
- Each applicant is eligible for one award per year.
- Applicants must agree to present a “takeaway” from their conference attendance to the WSU teaching community if selected for an award.
- Awardees must submit a registration invoice for receipt of award.
Use of Funds
The purpose of this award is to cover the cost of registration fees to attend a conference/ meeting/ workshop that will directly enhance the applicant’s classroom teaching and/or scholarship of teaching. Use of these funds for any other purpose is not allowed. If the awardee is unable to attend the conference, awarded funds will be requested to be returned to the Teaching Academy.
Takeaways are the way that the awardee shares what they learned from their conference attendance with the WSU teaching community. This can take the form of a presentation or a faculty-led workshop, for example), a Teaching Tip video, a Power Point video, a blog post on the Teaching Academy website, a poster, a new or redesigned shared assignment or syllabus, and more. Takeaways that do not involve a live presentation must be submitted within 60 days of attendance unless an extension is granted by the award committee. They will be archived on the Teaching Academy website as a resource. Instructions for submission of the Takeaway will be provided at the time of award.
- Applicants will receive up to $500.
- Applicants may receive one award per year and are eligible to apply in subsequent years after submitting a takeaway, as described above.
Application & Review Process
- Applications will open January 1, 2024 and are due March 22, 2024.
- Complete the application form and click “submit.” *Submitting the application indicates that you have read the above Criteria for Eligibility and agree to them.
- The review committee will review all applications within two weeks from the deadline and respond to applicants shortly thereafter.
- Applications will be competitively rated based on how attendance enhances the teaching of the applicant.
- The Review Committee will make awards based on the strength of the application, available funds, and the number of applicants.
- Applications must be complete to be considered for funding. Please be sure to complete each section.