Five faculty members received three types of awards from the Washington State University Teaching Academy, recognizing their impact on excellence in teaching and learning across the institution.
“The committee was pleased to review many outstanding submissions for all of our awards this year,” said Samantha Gizerian, chair of the academy’s grants and awards committee. “Those chosen as recipients truly embody the depth and breadth of efforts and contributions made by our faculty.”
Teaching Academy Conference Registration Award
This recognition is intended to help cover the cost of registration fees to attend a conference, meeting, or workshop that will directly enhance the applicant’s classroom teaching and/or scholarship of teaching. Recipients are:
- Xingqiu Lou, Dept. of Apparel, Merchandising, Design, and Textiles, in the College of Agriculture, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences
- Vahid Vahdat, School of Design and Construction, in the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture
- Kathleen Cowin, Dept. of Educational Leadership and Sport Management, in the College of Education at WSU Tri-Cities.
Outstanding Publication in the Scholarship of Teaching in Higher Education Award
This award recognizes an outstanding publication in the scholarship of teaching in higher education. The recipient is:
- Kathleen Cowin, for her paper, “Yes, You Can Create Co-mentoring Circles Over Zoom,” published in The Chronicle of Mentoring and Coaching in 2021.
Teaching Academy Award for Excellence in Teaching a Large Class
This new award recognizes achievement in teaching in one of the most difficult contexts—class sections of more than 50 students. Recipients are:
- Carrie Cuttler, Dept. of Psychology, in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
- David Makin, Dept. of Criminal Justice and Criminology and Complex Social Interactions Lab, CAS
Media contacts: Samantha Gizerian, WSU Teaching Academy awards chair, 509-335-0986, firstname.lastname@example.org
Beverly Makhani, DAESA communications and marketing director, 509-432-3430, email@example.com