Initiatives Executive Budget Council
Following the creation of the Washington State University (WSU) System Strategic Plan and the work of the University Fiscal Health Advisory Committee, it is critical to understand current budget practices and develop a budget model to better align resource allocation to the achievement of the strategic goals. The charge of the Executive Budget Council (EBC) is to lead this effort to support the new WSU System Strategic Plan and the One WSU system. The specific objectives of this council are to:
- Engage the WSU system community in understanding our current practices in both allocating resources and assessing costs.
- Explore national best practices in resource allocation in higher education.
- Establish guiding principles for desired changes to the management of cost structures and resource allocation.
- Propose specific changes to our resource allocation methodology to support the system strategic plan and priorities.
- Propose a holistic budget model that incentivizes revenue growth and promotes accountability by utilizing success metrics.
- Facilitate transparent and informative budget communications with the WSU community.
- Recommend budget policies to support our strategic priorities, fiscal accountability and inclusive of all university funds.
The EBC will have broad university representation and is anticipated to host listening and feedback sessions for system-wide university participation by May 1, 2022.
- Elizabeth Chilton, Provost and Executive Vice President (Co-Chair)
- Stacy Pearson, Chief Financial Officer and Vice President for Finance and Administration (Co-Chair)
- Marwa Aly, Vice President, Graduate and Professional Student Association
- Celestina Barbosa-Leiker, Associate Professor, College of Nursing and Vice Chancellor for Research, WSU Health Sciences Spokane
- Jennifer Chambers-Taube, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations, WSU Vancouver
- Dave Cillay, Vice President for Academic Outreach and Innovation and Chancellor, Global Campus
- Sandra Haynes, Chancellor, WSU Tri-Cities
- Chip Hunter, Dean, Carson College of Business
- Anne McCoy, Deputy Director of Athletics, WSU Athletics
- Linda McDermott, Assistant Vice President for Finance, Division of Student Affairs
- Brian Patrick, Student Government Council Representative and President, Associated Students of Washington State University
- Paul Wilmoth, Academic Advisor, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (Administrative Professional Advisory Council Representative)
- Don Holbrook, Budget Director, Academic Affairs (Ex-officio)
- Kristina Peterson-Wilson, Chief of Staff, Provost’s Office (Ex-officio)
- Kelley Westhoff, Executive Director for Budget and Planning (Ex-officio)
Kindly contact Kristina Peterson-Wilson, Chief of Staff, at email@example.com or 509-335-5581.
Updates regarding the Executive Budget Council
- Letter to University Community from President Schulz (released on October 20, 2022)
- Update Letter to University Community (released on July 12, 2022)
- Listening and Feedback Session FAQs (released on July 7, 2022)
- Updated WSU Budget Model Redesign Initiative Presentation (released on July 7, 2022)
- Listening and Feedback Session Presentation (updated on April 28, 2022)
- April 18, 2022 Listening and Feedback Session Recording
- Spring 2022 Listening and Feedback Sessions Announcement (released on April 7, 2022)
- Executive Budget Council Update Presentation (E. Chilton and S. Pearson to Faculty Senate on December 9, 2021)
- Update Letter to University Community (released on December 10, 2021)