OFFICE OF ACADEMIC ENGAGEMENTWashington State Opportunity Scholars
WSOS was founded in 2012. Created in 2011 as a public-private partnership between the Legislature and private high-demand sectors in the state, the WSOS supports students with a scholarship up to $22,500 as well as professional development, skills-building workshops and genuine industry exposure to help increase the rate at which students enter the state’s workforce. The WSOS serves students from low- and middle-income households working to attain a bachelor’s degree in high-demand fields including science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) and health care. 600 annual participants.
WSOS Program Support
- Academic advising
- Scholarship support
- Career development planning and support
- Referrals to campus and community resources
- Professional development and mentorship opportunities that allow students to sharpen their skill sets and enter the workforce as credentialed and competitive leaders
Award Increase Request
All Opportunity Scholars enter the program at Award Level 1. While at Award Level 1, the academic year total received by students is $2,500. Students will receive Level 1 funding until they submit an Award Increase Request. See Annual Award Amounts for more details.To increase their scholarship beyond Level 1, Scholars must:
- Have earned at least 90 quarter or 60 semester credits
- Been accepted into an eligible, high-demand major from the list of approved majors
- Be enrolled at an eligible institution offering a bachelor’s degree in the field of study
Scholars must submit an Award Increase Request by October 1.
For information on Award Increase required documents, please visit our Award Increase Request page.
For questions regarding eligibility, award increases, and pending requests, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Proudly supported by