Following the creation of the Washington State University (WSU) System Strategic Plan and the work of the Executive Budget Council, it is critical that we continue the important work of building the new budget model and associated governance processes for Washington State University. As such, President Schulz has appointed the Budget Planning Advisory Council (BPAC). Chip Hunter (Dean, Carson College of Business) and Kelley Westhoff (Executive Director for Budget, Planning, and Analysis, Budget Office) will serve as the co-chair for this important Council.
During the FY23 model build, the Council will serve as a steering committee. Representative responsibilities and objectives during the first phase of the Budget Planning Advisory Council will include:
- Serve as a system advocate with specific subject matter expertise.
- Analyze policy options as they arise, preparing for Phase 2 discussions leading to recommendations to the Executive Committee for implementation.
- Monthly (or more frequent) meetings for briefings and feedback on project status.
- Vetting of model variables and methodology.
- Review and recommendations on governance structure, timing, and workflow for the budget development process.
For the first phase of BPAC, the Council will focus on the budget model design and review, as WSU prepares to launch the parallel budget process in July 2023. As denoted below, the Budget Planning Advisory Council has broad, system-wide university representation and will provide the WSU community with routine status reports. During summer of 2023, the BPAC membership will be expanded in order to focus on the governance processes and timelines associated with the use of the budget model data.
- Bruce Pinkleton, Co-Chair and Dean, Murrow College of Communication
- Kelley Westhoff, Co-Chair and Executive Director for Budget and Planning, Division of Finance and Administration
- Jenny Chambers-Taube, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations, WSU Vancouver
- Ann Marie Gooch, Director for Administrative Services, College of Arts and Sciences
- Sandra Haynes, Chancellor, WSU Tri-Cities
- Don Holbrook, Budget Director, Academic Affairs, Office of the Provost
- Carrie Johnson, Executive Director, Information Technology Services
- Michelle Martinez, Director for Administrative Services, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Linda McDermott, Assistant Vice President for Finance, Division of Student Affairs
- Dan Nordquist, Associate Vice President, Office of Research
- Brett Oglesbee, Senior Director of Finance and Operations, Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, WSU Health Sciences Spokane
- Leslie Brunelli, Incoming Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration, and Chief Financial Officer (Ex-Officio)
- Elizabeth Chilton, Provost and Executive Vice President (Ex-Officio)
Kindly contact Kristina Peterson-Wilson, Chief of Staff, at email@example.com or 509-335-5581.