Early Academic Referrals
The Student Care Network is an online resource with a list of important student resources as well as an Assistance and Referral Form that can be completed by anyone on campus who may have concerns about a particular student’s physical or mental health. The idea is to make it convenient and easy for the campus community to bring concerns about a student’s situation to the attention of those who can help. Examples of instances in which a Student Care Network report may be appropriate include:
- A rapid or marked change in participation or performance in class
- Unusual or marked emotional response to events
- Mention of suicide, self harm or harm to others in the content of coursework
- Significant change in self-care — personal hygiene, weight loss or gain, sleeping in class
- Unusual or inappropriate behavior or talk that concerns other students or interferes with the educational environment
The Navigate online platform is equipped to allow faculty and staff to refer undergraduate students to University resources for academic support. Early intervention is key to student success. Faculty are encouraged to utilize the referral system at the first signs of academic struggle. A case manager will make sure the student is able to connect with tutoring, advising, or the appropriate support system to help them get back on track. The goal is to get the student back in your class, engaged in the content, and equipped to finish the semester well. Examples of instances in which an academic referral through Navigate may be appropriate include:
- Struggling to understand concepts in class
- Poor performance on assignments or tests
- A lack of engagement in the class, or class material
- Poor attendance record
Navigate instructions: Once you select the Navigate link, you will be directed to sign in with your WSU credentials. Once signed in, you will see a list of your current courses taught, and below that, a list of students in your courses. Check the box to the left of the student you wish to refer to academic resources, then click on “Actions” in the top left corner. You can then select, “Issue Alert” to initiate a short dialogue box for the referral.
WSU Vancouver faculty should utilize the established Academic Alert system to refer students for academic assistance, and utilize the Student Care Network for concerns about a student’s physical or mental health.