DEPARTMENT CHAIRS AND DIRECTORS
A series of workshops are held each year to help new department chairs and school directors to understand their jobs. The workshop covers general leadership issues along with specific Washington State University policies. The workshops are mandatory for new chairs and directors. They are also open to experienced chairs who need help on a particular issue and to other faculty members who may be interested in pursuing leadership opportunities in the future. The current list of workshop topics is given below.
- Welcome to academic leadership!
- Advancing faculty at WSU
- Fresh in their minds
- We’re all data nerds: what information is out there, where, and how to use it
- Making the hard decisions (part 1): Ethics, academic freedom, and free speech
- Fostering an inclusive university
- Making the hard decisions (part 2): Dealing with difficult personnel issues
- From colleague to “boss”
- Faculty annual review process
- Faculty development
- Promoting effective teaching
- Advancing research in your unit
- Keeping it together
- The cruelest month: Review before summer
Access the detailed Department Chairs and Directors Workshop Series schedule and register for workshops.
Please contact the Provost’s Office at (509) 335-5581 and ask for Kristina Peterson-Wilson, Chief of Staff.