Washington State University Office of the Provost
Transformational Change Initiative
About the Transformational Change Initiative
The Transformational Change Initiative (TCI) is a student-centered implementation and research project established in 2016 to create an innovative framework for student success from matriculation through graduation and beyond.
From its inception, the TCI has launched several projects in support of student success and has built momentum that will continue to support the priorities articulated in WSU’s system strategic plan.
Please explore our website to learn more about the initiative, its components, who’s involved and what it means to have an exceptional, transformational student experience at WSU.
- Parenting tips can reduce substance use in first‑year college students
- ‘Faculty burnout’ is topic of WSU ELEVATE virtual workshop on May 3, 2023
- Transformational Change Initiative and LIFT Faculty Fellowship program discussed in The Chronicle of Higher Education
- WSU ELEVATE event on Feb. 20, 2023 focuses on faculty burnout, student wellbeing
- New WSU PIT Stops offer faculty support
- Fall 2022 ELEVATE Conference
- First TCI IDEA grants awarded to four projects
- TCI makes major strides
- LAUNCH transforms student experience
- Bumpus talks parent-student handbook adaptations
- WSU professor applies LIFT principles to teaching
- Temple professor Avi Kaplan to assist with TCI
- Transformative Change Initiative takes flight
Spring 2023 Events and Series
In partnership with Learning Innovation and the Teaching Academy, the Office of the Provost is pleased to announce spring ELEVATE! WSU’s ELEVATE programming supports WSU faculty and graduate students system-wide to Engage Learners, Enhance Voices, and Advance Teaching Excellence. This spring’s one-day event will be hosted on February 20, 2023, and will showcase a 1.5-hour workshop on battling faculty burnout and a session on resources and offices available to improve learning by supporting student health and wellbeing. The spring ELEVATE event will be hosted on each campus system-wide and available virtually via Zoom.
PIT (Pedagogy, Innovation, and Technology) Stops
A new series titled PIT (Pedagogy, Innovation, and Technology) Stops will consist of sessions held twice monthly that rotate between a system-wide virtual event and campus-specific events. The series launched on February 1, 2023.
If you have questions about the Transformational Change Initiative or any of the TCI-sponsored events, please contact Erika Offerdahl (Director, Transformational Change Initiative) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Transformational Change Initiative (TCI) was a merger of two strategic reallocation proposals submitted in 2016, one aimed at freshmen and the other at upper-class students. The first-year program was aimed at building resilience, purpose and growth through both faculty support and parental interventions. The program for upper-class students integrated peer mentoring, programming and advising to move students into increasingly experiential learning opportunities. The project was a collaboration between several colleges and academic support units across multiple WSU locations. TCI was originally funded at $7,395,267 over five years.
In 2022, WSU carefully reviewed the TCI program and decided to permanently fund the same. The project is now managed by the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President.