What is COACHE?
The Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education (COACHE) is a national, research-based initiative that is designed to help us better understand and initiate plans for improving the quality of work-life for faculty.
COACHE conducts an annual survey from universities across the U.S. The survey items fall into ten domains and some items address global satisfaction. Universities also have the option to include custom items. The ten domains are:
- Nature of Work (Scholarship, Service, Teaching)
- Tenure and Promotion
- Interdisciplinary Work
- Collaboration and Mentoring
- Resources and Support
- Shared Governance
- Department Engagement, Quality, and Collegiality
- Institutional Leadership
- Appreciation and Recognition
- Retention and Negotiations
WSU’s 2022 COACHE Survey
The COACHE survey was sponsored by WSU’s Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President. The survey was launched in February 2022 and closed in April 2022. The survey was partially funded with state funds provided to support a state-mandated faculty climate survey. WSU received the data in late summer of 2022 and formed a committee to interpret findings and identify actions to address COACHE findings. The survey will be administered again in spring 2024. An earlier survey was completed in 2014.
The COACHE survey tool helps us understand the status of faculty affairs at WSU and initiate value-driven responsive and proactive measures. These values include the importance of:
- Empowering faculty to reach their highest potential in teaching, scholarship/creative activities, and service.
- Promoting the highest standards for integrity, fairness, and transparency when evaluating data, planning, reporting, making decisions, and executing programs for faculty affairs.
- Facilitating a culture of collaboration and shared purpose that is interdisciplinary for teaching, scholarship/creative activities, and service, and that removes barriers between administrative programs in faculty affairs, academic affairs, graduate education, and scholarship and creative arts.
- Promoting inclusivity and diversity among faculty by ensuring equitable opportunities for all faculty, and by fostering an environment that values and respects different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Promoting the principles of academic freedom whereby faculty can pursue innovative scholarship and teaching consistent with their expertise and interests.
- Promoting professional development by advancing ongoing and new opportunities for faculty mentoring programs, workshops, and resources to enhance teaching, scholarship and creative arts, leadership, and career advancement.
- Promoting work-life policies and practices that support faculty well-being, and that foster a healthy and supportive work environment.
- Ensuring that faculty members are equipped with the necessary tools and support to effectively contribute to student success, fostering a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
COACHE Committee, Survey Response Rates, and Results
To learn more about WSU’s COACHE Committee, the 2022 survey response rates, and results, please visit the following pages.
Survey Response Rates
For questions or to learn more about WSU’s COACHE survey, please contact email@example.com or (509) 335-5581.